[Dock-fans] Missing Scores [signed]

Terry Lang terry at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu Apr 7 15:48:40 PDT 2005

Dear Matthew,

   If you don't get a response at the end of your run, it is because, for
some reason, DOCK did not consider any of the generated poses to have
reasonable scores.  We know that it is confusing that nothing is being
printed out in the output file and are working to fix that, at which point
we will post a bugfix on the web page.
   For your particular case, because you do have orientations but do not
have conformations, you most likely did not get any scored poses because
anchor and grow could not find any conformations with reasonable internal
energies or reasonable interaction energies.  This generally happens when
a) your small molecule has > 7 rotatable bonds or b) your active site is
buried or in other ways very sterically restricted.  In order to validate
that the problem is actually the flexible ligand sampling, you can perform
a rigid dock run (set "flexible_ligand" to no) and see if you get out answers.
   In order to deal with the sampling issue (if this is indeed the
problem), you can either try conformational expansion of your
ligand/library prior to docking and then keep your ligands rigid.  You can
also try to run either minimizations or md simulations of your
receptor-ligand complex to see if you can make your active site less
sterically restricted.
   Please let me know whether this solves your problem.

Good luck,
Terry