[Dock-fans] docking on a linux cluster

Terry Lang terry at cgl.ucsf.edu
Wed Aug 10 17:44:47 PDT 2005

Dear Jose,

1)  There is no difference in the code base itself between the operating
systems, only in the precompiled binaries.  However, that being said, we
have had several issues with how the compilers on different systems
interpret the code.  This issue has become more of a problem for Mac OS
X lately because we have an increased number of Mac users who are trying
out an increasing variety of functions.  We do try to address these
issues and fix them as soon as possible with bug fixes on the web site.

2)  In the 5.2.0 release, we now recommend using energy score for both
primary and secondary scoring.  In DOCK 4, we had recommended using the
contact score first, but that was primarily for length of calculation
issues.  Now that computers are faster, we recommend as above.

3)  There were some people having the same problem with large
databases.  It turned out that they were using sphere files that
contained multiple clusters, which through off the sphere reader
internally but did not warn the user.  This particular issue can be
fixed by using a sphere file with only cluster or by applying the
appropriate bug fix from the web site.  If you are still having problems
with your database, please send me the tarred files and I will take a
look (NOTE:  Please send these files to me only so as not to crash the
discussion board).

Sincerely,
Terry