[Dock-fans] Conserved Interactions

Terry Lang terry at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu May 11 13:40:11 PDT 2006

Dear Peng,

       This can be accomplished in one of two ways.  See below for more
details on the two options.  For more information on how to implement
these options in a DOCK run, see the DOCK 4 manual at
http://dock.compbio.ucsf.edu/Old_Versions/dock4.0_manual.pdf.

Sincerely,
Terry

*Critical Points *

The critical_points feature is used to focus the orientation search into
a subsite of the receptor active site (DesJarlais, et al. J.
Comput-Aided Molec. Design. 1994 and Miller, et al J. Comput. Aided Mol.
Design. 1994). For example, identifying molecules that interact with the
catalytic residues might be of chief interest. Any number of points may
be identified as critical, and any number of groupings of these points
may be identified. An alternative to using critical points is to discard
all site points that are some distance away from the subsite of
interest, while retaining enough site points to define unique ligand
orientations. This feature can be highly effective at reducing matching
by five-fold or more. It is particularly useful to also assign chemical
labels to the critical points to further focus sampling.

*Chemical Matching*

The chemical_matching feature is used to incorporate information about
the chemical complementarity of a ligand orientation into the matching
process. In this feature, chemical labels are assigned to site points
and ligand atoms (Kuhl, et al. J. Comput. Chem. 1984). The site point
labels are based on the local receptor environment. The ligand atom
labels are based on user-adjustable chemical functionality rules. These
labeling rules are identified with the chemical_defn_file parameter and
reside in an editable file. A node in a match will produce an
unfavorable interaction if the atom and site point components have
labels which violate a chemical match rule. The chemical matching rules
are identified with the chemical_match_file parameter and reside in an
editable file. If a match will produce unfavorable interactions, then
the match is discarded. The speed-up from this technique depends how
extensively site points have been labeled and the stringency of the
match rules, but an improvement of two-fold or more can be expected.