[Dock-fans] dms installation

Scott Brozell sbrozell at scripps.edu
Tue Jul 3 20:05:55 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 lpgomes at fiocruz.br wrote:

> I had the following problem in compilation of dms. ANd I would
> like to know what to do.
> Regards,
> Luciano P Gomes
> FIOCRUZ Brasília
>
> cd libpdb ; make OPT="-O"
> make[1]: Entrando no diretório `/usr/dms/libpdb'
> make[1]: Nada a ser feito para `all'.
> make[1]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/dms/libpdb'
> cc -DDESTLIB=\"/usr/local/lib/dms/\"
> -DSERVER_PATH=\"/usr/local/lib/dms/dmsd\" -Ilibpdb -O   -c -o
> input.o input.c
> input.c: In function ‘read_pdb’:
> input.c:104: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of
> built-in function ‘strcpy’
> input.c:104: error: too many arguments to function ‘strcpy’
> input.c:105: error: too many arguments to function ‘strcpy’
> input.c:113: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of
> built-in function ‘strncat’
> input.c:151: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of
> built-in function ‘exit’

It appears that the header file declarations of these functions,
strcpy, exit, etc, are not being presented to the compiler.
This is suspicious since input.c contains:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <strings.h>
In addition, the errors above attributed to strcpy are actually
scopy function calls according to my version of input.c.

Here are some debugging ideas:

Verify that your input.c is verbatim from your dms distribution
and that it contains those includes starting at line 33.

Get the preprocessor output via
cc -DDESTLIB=\"/usr/local/lib/dms/\" -DSERVER_PATH=\"/usr/local/lib/dms/dmsd\" -Ilibpdb -E input.c
and look for the declarations of the above functions and see whats
happening on line 104 with regard to scopy.

Try to disable builtins via this compiler option: -fno-builtins

If you need more help then send explicit and verbose details
including OS and compiler versions, the -E output, the effect
of -fno-builtins, etc.