[Dock-fans] Using sphgen and dms?????

Scott Brozell sbrozell at scripps.edu
Wed Jul 4 22:42:18 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Mathias Baumann wrote:

> I'm using cygwin on XP and got as far as the installation of dms where i had the problems with the LIB & BINPATH as some other people here but worked around it by setting these pathnames to the propper directory. Now however i wanted to use the sphgen command for the 2nd step of the tutorial but it always kept telling me that there was no such command. By using the explorer i found that there was no sphgen.exe in the bin-library of my cygwin folder but instead it was in my dock6/bin folder. so i used BINPATH again to set it to the dock6 directory and now sphgen works.
>
> To make a long story short, do i always have to change my BIN-directory to use dock? coz i tried to reinstall it by first setting the BIN & LIBPATH but it will install into the dock folder anyway and not in my home directory. I'm new to linux and cygwin so i figured all of this by trial and error but maybe i'm missing something important and someone can tell me what i'm doing wrong.

I do not use cygwin and a few minutes ggooooooggggggling and
at the cygwin home page http://www.cygwin.com/ and the cygwin mailing list
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/ did not find any good hits.

dock6/bin is the canonical path for DOCK executables.
The Makefiles use a macro for this.

The configuration files define the macro SFX
for the suffix for executables.
This was originally used in Amber as a way to add an exe
extension under cygwin, but was hijacked in DOCK for mpi and pbsa
extensions for alternate dock6 executables.
One could create a config.h that has SFX=.exe.

So DOCK seems to have enough flexibility to accommodate your
scenario with some under the hood work.
However, perhaps a cygwin user/expert can comment
on the appropriateness of your scenario.