[Dock-fans] Using sphgen and dms?????

David A. Case case at scripps.edu
Thu Jul 5 23:29:17 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007, Scott Brozell wrote:

> > I'm using cygwin on XP and got as far as the installation of dms where i
> > had the problems with the LIB & BINPATH as some other people here but
> > worked around it by setting these pathnames to the propper directory. Now
> > however i wanted to use the sphgen command for the 2nd step of the
> > tutorial but it always kept telling me that there was no such command. By
> > using the explorer i found that there was no sphgen.exe in the bin-library
> > of my cygwin folder but instead it was in my dock6/bin folder. so i used
> > BINPATH again to set it to the dock6 directory and now sphgen works.

Apologies if I'm coming in late here, and missed something earlier.  The
sphgen.exe file *should* in dock6/bin.  You should set your PATH variable by
putting something like this into your /home/username/.bashrc file:

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/username/dock6/bin

(assuming you installed dock6 under your home directory; if not, insert
the correct path above).  Then, everytime to start a cygwin shell, the system
will know to look in both /bin and in /home/username/dock6/bin when it wants
to find executables. You can have many directories in the $PATH variable,
separated by colons.

Since you say you are new to linux and cygwin, I'm hoping that maybe this
will help.  Please accept my apologies if this is stuff you already know.

...good luck....dave case