[Dock-fans] Re: Dock parallel run tutorial

Scott Brozell sbrozell at scripps.edu
Wed May 23 08:55:36 PDT 2007

Hi,

Yes, Philip refers to something like this, eg
http://www.sdsc.edu/us/resources/ia64/runjobs.html

#PBS -l nodes=10:ppn=2
mpirun -v -machinefile $PBS_NODEFILE -np 20 ./a.out

Note that their example could be further automated like this:
setenv NPROCS \
    `wc -l $PBS_NODEFILE | sed 's/^[ \t]*//' | cut -d' ' -f1`
echo "Number of processors is $NPROCS"
mpirun -v -machinefile $PBS_NODEFILE -np $NPROCS ./a.out

At some centers mpirun is wrapped to hide the details, eg
http://www.osc.edu/hpc/computing/ipf/#mpi

#PBS -l nodes=12:ppn=2:myrinet
mpiexec ./a.out

I think that the DOCK manual clearly indicates that the
quick start is for users that have to roll their own.
But I'll proof read it with an eye to clarification.

Scott