[Dock-fans] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Parallel install

Scott Brozell sbrozell at scripps.edu
Fri Sep 28 12:20:24 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:

> Yes, I badly forgot to carry out first serial compilation. Now done, which
> resulted in a seemingly major error. Please see below at your directions how to
> carry that out.
>
> --- Scott Brozell <sbrozell at scripps.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> >
> > > I decided to start from fresh source and compile all programs, again
> > setting
> > >
> > > MPICH_HOME=/usr/local
> > >
> > > as root of the installation of Open MPI
> > >
> > > Surely there was notable progress with respect to previous attempts. This
> > time
> > > /bin contains a large number of executables though errors were reported
> > about
> > > anchor_and_grow. I donot understand if this is the single error or it is
> > > truncated (probably so because the test was short)
> > >
> > > make test 2>&1 | tee test.out
> > >
> > > Attached is the compressed test.out. Againg, I am sincerely sorry to convey
> > all
> > > these troubles due to my scarce experience with compilations.
> > >
> > > I was surprised to see antechamber.mpi and mopac.mpi. In Amber9 the
> > compilation
> > > of Antechamber and Divcon is serial.
> >
> > dock6 is the only parallel executable.
> > antechamber.mpi, etc is a minor glitch (inappropriate
> > file extension) that is exercised by unconventional building.
> > Here is the quick start for an example gnu installation:
> >     cd install; ./configure gnu; make install; make test;
>
> I removed all binaries generated from previous faulty parallel compilation.
> Then (after "make clean") I followed the above directions for serial
> compilation. The following binaries were generated in /bin:
>
> am1bcc, amberize_complex, amberize_ligand, amberize_receptor, antechamber,
> atomtype, bondtype, chemgrid, distmap, dock6, espgen, grid, grid_convert,
> grid_convrds, make_phimap, mopac, mopac.sh, nchemgrid_GB, nchemgrid_SA,
> parmcal, parmchk, prepare_amber.pl, prepgen, resp, respgen, showbox,
> showsphere, solvgrid, solvmap, sphere_selector, sphgen, teLeap, tleap.
>
> make test 2>&1 | tee test_serial.out (attached)
>
> revealed 29 instances of Possible Failure. I examined with make check the dif
> files finding irrelevant differences in tails of floating points, and more
> difficult to understand problems with the number of conformations. Probably one
> should be familiar with dock to fully grasp the message of these dif files. It
> is much more complicated than with Amber9 dif.

These difs look innocuous.  Unfortunately, changes in the number of
Conformations cause a cascade of difs.  This is on the long term todo list.

./anchor_and_grow/flex2.dockout.dif
58c58
<  Conformations:    13
---
>  Conformations:    14

> The end of the test_serial.out reveals a possible major error (can't open file
> lig.1.amber.pdb). I don't understand if this issue should be resolved before
> parallel compilation (which, in fact, I have not carried out).

../../../bin/prepare_amber.pl completed.
Processing test move_ligand
../../../bin/dock6 -i move_ligand.dockin -o move_ligand.dockout
getpdb: can't open file lig.1.amber.pdb
make[3]: *** [move_ligand.dockout] Error 1

If you plan to use Amber score then the missing lig.1.amber.pdb should
be investigated:  in install/test/amber_score_181l look at the
files *.out
It is likely that amberize_ligand failed.

Scott