[Dock-fans] Fatal error about amber score.

John J. Irwin jji at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Apr 15 10:45:08 PDT 2008

Hi -

DOCK as used for virtual screening is a program to prioritize compounds
for purchase and experimental testing. We know from experience (and it
is well attested in the literature) that most top scoring compounds
generally do not bind. This is easy to explain: many approximations are
made in the docking calculation. You can make a case that docking, in
general, should not work.

Any calculated value should not be trusted, but instead used for
purchasing guidance. Look at docking as a way to identify compounds to
test in the lab. If we buy 50 compounds hand picked from among the top
500, and 3 of them bind to the protein, we are thrilled.

Good luck

John