[Dock-fans] Comparing docking strategies

John J. Irwin jji at cgl.ucsf.edu
Mon Apr 28 15:16:37 PDT 2008

Hi Francesco

When evaluating docking procedures and protocols, you should have in
mind a scientific question (e.g. how does molecule X bind? Can I find
molecule X from among a sea of decoys?). The second point is to
calibrate your model by attempting to recapitulate all available binding
information (e.g. IC50s, crystal structures). Third, the ultimate test
is the usefulness of the predictions made by docking, which you test by
experiment.

Both of your approaches make numerous assumptions and approximations. To
find out which protocol is "best", I suggest you use each method to make
predictions, both retrospectively and prospectively, and test them.

Good luck!

John
UCSF DOCK Team