[Dock-fans] Are there some free programs to do the similarity clustering?

John J. Irwin jji at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu Jun 26 14:02:47 PDT 2008

Hi Yolanda

Clustering can be helpful to reduce a complex dataset to patterns. But
clustering is also in the eye of the beholder, with all the subjectivity
that implies.

What is the question you want to answer? If it is "which compounds
should I buy from among the top docking hits?", then in addition to
clustering, you might want to think about the  underlying distribution
of compounds in the database.

In our experience, perhaps surprisingly, we tend to cluster by eye. What
I mean is that during a hit picking party, as we review the best looking
compounds from among the top 500, if we see one that looks like one we
saw before, we just say "NEXT!" and move on. If looks like one we said
we would buy, then we consider this new compound as perhaps an
alternative if the best scorer turns out to be unavailable, or expensive.

That's a bit of a non-answer, so here is how we do clustering: we use
SUBSET1.0 from Marc Nicklaus (which is free). It is very fast, and, with
cutoffs at 90, 80, and 70% Tanimoto, often gives us answers we can
relate to.  Useful, yes, interesting, yes, but we still look at every
one of the top scoring 500 before we buy.

Hope this helps.

John
UCSF DOCK Team