[Dock-fans] Protein-Protein Docking

Scott Brozell sbrozell at scripps.edu
Thu Sep 18 18:11:58 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, CJ Arthur wrote:

> I've been trying to dock two proteins using Dock and have hit some
> problems. If possible could someone have a look at what I'm doing an tell
> me what I'm doing wrong please.

http://dock.compbio.ucsf.edu/DOCK_6/dock6_manual.htm#MacromolecularDocking
Grepping for ligand_center and match_receptor in the source code
finds only lines in program grid.
Grepping for use_ligand_spheres and ligand_sphere_file in the source code
finds only lines in program dock.

Thus, Macromolecular Docking as described in the manual appears
to need both corrections (ligand_centers -> use_ligand_spheres,
ligand_center_file -> ligand_sphere_file, and match_receptor_sites seems
to have been redundant and merely replaced with automated_matching=no)
and completion (there may be steps involving grid that are not described).

I'm adding an investigation of this to the todo list.
But maybe the grid clues are enough for you to figure this out.
Unfortunately, it looks like the only documentation for this aspect of grid
is its source code.
Also I may be all wrong regarding grid.  I've never tried macromolecular
DOCKing.  As a final thought, start small and scale up.

Please follow up since I want to at least correct the documentation
such as it is.
Good luck,
Scott