[Dock-fans] "make test" , "possible failure" and its association with operating system

John J. Irwin jji at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Jul 7 16:49:49 PDT 2009

Hello Rajeshwari

Let me try to be clearer.  Floating point (real) numbers get rounded off
differently on different processors and different operating systems. I
am not an expert in these things, but if you use anything other than an
intel ix86 running a recent linux it is not unusual to see *slight*
changes in perhaps the 6th or 7th significant figure of floating point
numbers.  Our comparison program (as I understand it) is not clever
enough to figure this out. So I suggest you just look at the output
files and see whether they look as close as you would expect given
roundoff error.

John