[Dock-fans] fedora for dock 6.2

Scott Brozell sbrozell at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Jul 10 16:46:41 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:45:49AM +0000, Rajeshwari Iyer wrote:

> dock 6.2 on cygwin:::
> I am trying to learn use cygwin efficiently. Looking at few sites.
> Any recommendations of links or sites will be appreciated

> dock 6.2 on fedora 9 and fedora 10:::
> I used Sun Solaris and Red hat Linux before but no idea how to
> install and configure fedora 9/10 to run dock 6.2.

It should be almost identical.
http://dock.compbio.ucsf.edu/DOCK_6/dock6_manual.htm#Installation
The key for installation of scientific software on Linuxes
is to have a full OS installation.
I would install every OS package, but for disk space misers
ensure you have all the software development packages installed:
compilers, make, yacc, flex, etc.
Here's a tip for would be misers:
control-k is the firefox shortcut for the ggooooooggggggggle bar;
u r gonna need it ;-)

> I would prefer booting from cd, that way I guess I can testout different versions.
> Looking at few sites and forums for fedora installation. Any specific
> site in this regard will be helpful.

> I read dock 6.3 is coming up. Is it a bugfix version of dock 6.2 or
> enhanced version of 6.2 ? Are you guys developing and testing dock 6.3
> using fedora 9 or 10.

Mainly 6.3 is a release of the version of DOCK used in
http://rnajournal.cshlp.org/content/early/2009/04/15/rna.1563609.abstract
The new features are scoring related.
Also there are a fair number of bugfixes.
We are officially stopping support of SGI and explicitly supporting ubuntu.
But my view is that all Unices especially Linuxes are supported because
to quote myself:
"
DOCK is Unix  based scientific software and follows a common installation recipe: download, unpack, configure, build, and test. The simple configuration scheme of DOCK is based on plain text files. Building and testing employ the make  command. DOCK installation is so simple and transparent that users have a reasonable chance of correcting problems themselves.
"