[Dock-fans] DOCK 6.4 on Mac OSX?

Brent R. Stockwell bstockwell at columbia.edu
Tue Jun 28 09:10:14 PDT 2011

Hi folks. I am trying to install DOCK 6.4 on Mac OSX (10.6.8, 2x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon).

I have not been able to get the install to work. I followed the directions in the manual, but when I originally tried the "make all" command, I was getting an error related to the lack of g77 compiler. So I was able to download and install g77, but I was still getting a bunch of errors abut the architecture not being correct:

ld: warning: -macosx_version_min not specificed, assuming 10.6
ld: warning: ignoring file grid.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
ld: warning: ignoring file score.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
etc.

Then, eventually I get this error:

Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  "_MAIN__", referenced from:
      _main in libfrtbegin.a(frtbegin.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [grid] Error 1
make[1]: *** [utils] Error 2
make: *** [install] Error 2

I found this discussion on the DOCK-fans archive:

http://mailman.docking.org/pipermail/dock-fans/2011-April/002512.html

and tried modifying the config.h file as suggested, but it did not help. I couldn't figure out how to modify the DOCKBUILDFLAGS as suggested there, since I didn't see that in the config.h file.

I then found this thread on the DOCK-fans archive:

http://mailman.docking.org/pipermail/dock-fans/2008-August/001699.html

which suggested I should modify the config.h file by editing the LIBS definition to:

LIBS=        -lm -lpthread -lSystemStubs -L/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1 -lgcc

So I did (replacing powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.01 with the correct file name on my system). But I am still getting this architecture i386 error.

Has anyone successfully installed DOCK 6.4 on Mac OSX 10.6.8, and if so, do you have a protocol for how you did it?

Thanks!

Brent

Brent R. Stockwell, Ph.D.
Early Career Scientist
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences and Department of Chemistry
Columbia University
Northwest Corner Building, 12th Floor
550 West 120th Street, MC 4846
New York, NY 10027