[Dock-fans] create library for virtual screening from ZINC

John Irwin jir322 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:11:21 PST 2012

Dear Dong

Thanks for your question about preparing a library in ZINC.  ZINC
enables you to get large pre-made libraries by properties and vendors,
or small (<5000) libraries by arbitrary criteria. We cannot
(currently) support large arbitrary criteria bigger than 5000, because
of the load it would put on our public server.

If you want libraries selected using arbitrary criteria bigger than
5000 molecules, you have three options:

1. ask me. If it is something that might be popular, we can make it for everyone

2. download a superset in ZINC (e.g. drug-like), and do the selecting
on your local machine

3. realize that one of our pre-made subsets, while not *exactly* what
you want, is close enough for your purposes.

Good docking and good luck!

John

PS.  If you don't log in, you only get 500 molecules.  Use the "next"
button (top left of the listing) to go to the next page.  If you log
in (free registration!) you can get up to 5000 molecules per query.
You only get 100 molecules per page, and you use the next button, or
type the page number you want to jump to.

PPS we are working on allowing arbitrary criteria for subsets of
50,000 molecules available to the general public, which we hope will
be on line before the end of the year.  We are unlikely to support
arbitrary subsets larger than 50,000,  but who knows.