[Dock-fans] 回覆︰ Dock-fans Digest, Vol 92, Issue 2

John Irwin jir322 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 10:44:32 PST 2012

Dear Dong

Thanks for your interest in a large custom ZINC subset. What you ask
for is a slight variation (and a subset) of ZINC fragment like:

ZINC Fragment like is MWT <= 250,  RB <= 5 and calculated LogP <= 3.5

You asked for

150 <= MWT <=250; calculated logP <= 2.5; RB <= 3;
plus H-donors <=3; H-acceptors <=4

How to proceed:  Please download ZINC fragment like and filter out the
molecules that don't qualify by your criteria.  Please understand that
we cannot support allowing everyone to download custom
multi-hundred-thousand or even millions subsets of ZINC.  But should
be easy for you to customize the standard subsets locally.

Separately, can you help me understand why you want these limits?  For
instance, are you worried about the solubility of 250 amu compounds?
We think the converse.  We used to use logP of 2.5, but we upped it to
3.5 because we were missing too many perfectly good compounds.  Recall
that calculated logPs typically have an uncertainty of +/- 1 log.

What are the H-donors and H-acceptor limits for? Why would you not
want a fragment with 5 H donors?  This rule excludes glucose, for
instance, as well as many other perfectly acceptable molecules, in our
view.  If you are worried about molecules being too soluble, you might
be better off with a lower limit on calculated logP, say -1 or so,
although that would exclude glutamate (logP of -4), which is a very
important ligand.

Why the rotatable bond limits?  Do you really want to exclude lysine
and arginine?  What is the purpose of excluding small flexible
ligands?

Finally, what is the point of a lower limit on molecular weight?  You
only eliminate about 34K of 583K, less than 6%.   I admit to
considering a lower limit myself from time to time, but people keep
coming to me with projects where phenol (94 amu) or catechol (110 amu)
can be interesting, now that SPR and NMR are so widely used.  For most
projects I have seen, cutting at 150 amu does not help, and can make
you miss revealing things.

So, basically, I'm trying to encourage you to consider option 2 or even 3 again.

Good docking!

John