[Zinc-fans] no hits found

John J. Irwin jji at cgl.ucsf.edu
Sat May 9 08:00:08 PDT 2009

Hi Kabir

ZINC is a dynamic database that aims to reflect what you can actually
buy TODAY.  When compounds disappear from vendor catalogs, we try to
mark them as "depleted" but still visible in ZINC, rather that
completely removing them.  However, there was a huge backlog of obsolete
entries, over 4 million, last fall, and it was just too much to process
in the usual way, so we deleted them.  Many ZINC users figure we are
saving them time by removing these compounds, so they do not waste time
trying to buy compounds that are no longer for sale.

We encourage everyone to download "purchasing information" which is
available at the bottom of every download page. If you do this, you will
have an unchangable record of where each compound is available on the
day you download it, at least according to our records.

All that said, if you send me a short list of compounds off the list, I
will track them down, and let you know what happened, and perhaps offer
you some specific guidance.

John
UCSF ZINC Team